- Do-it-yourself Double- boiler : Equipment needed - medium-sized pot and a heatproof metal or glass mixing bowl. The purpose of double-boilers is to provide indirect heat for temperature-sensitive foods that can get cooked easily. Bring an inch or two of water to a simmer (no need to boil) as we need gentle heat. Place the bowl with egg yolks and sugar over top. Make sure that the bowl fits snugly on the pot without touching the water (if it dips into the water, it will get too hot).
- The secrets of making a great Tiramisu lies in :
- Getting the right texture of the cream filling - it should be of the right consistency and sweetness. Watch for the ratio of mascarpone cheese : Cream : Eggs.
- Quality of Ladyfingers: Use the right quality ladyfingers ( I used Italian Savoiardi - available in grocery stores) and do not soak them in espresso too long. Just dip for 1 second on each side.
- All ingredients must be at room temperature
- Refrigeration: Once prepared, Tiramisu needs to be refrigerated at least for 12 hours
- Serve cold: Tiramisu needs to be served cold. The mixture contains whipped cream which will start to melt if Tiramisu gets warm.
Keywords: Tiramisu, Mascarpone, Ladyfingers, Italian, dessert