Cauliflower steak is a 100% vegetarian appetizer dish that is spicy and crunchy. The word “steak” is a bit mis-leading, as it commonly refers to meats. But “Steak” is also used for vegetarian dishes that resemble the cooking of meat steaks such as tofu, cauliflower or mushrooms. I prepared the cauliflower steaks with a fresh head of cauliflower and a marinade made with greek yoghurt, garam masala, few other indian spices, ginger-garlic paste, fresh cilantro and mint. I used an oven-toaster-grill to roast my cauliflower steaks but you can also roast them on a charcoal or gas grill or roast the steaks on a pan with little oil.
The cauliflower steaks are best served with a side of naan or saffron rice and Indian coriander & tamarind chutneys. You can also use a simple yogurt raita to sooth the spiciness that is made with creamy yoghurt, grated cucumber, salt, cumin powder and finely chopped dill or cilantro.
I hope you will find this recipe helpful and tasty. Please rate this recipe. If you have liked it, please share it with your friends. For more updates on new recipes, please subscribe.
Cauliflower steaks with tandoori marinade
An easy appetizer recipe of Cauliflower florets infused with aroma of Indian spices.
Oven-toaster-grill OR charcoal grill or Frying Pan
Prepare the Tandoori marinade
- Chop the cilantro and mint
- Mix all the ingredients and only half quantity of cooking oil
- Whisk thoroughly until all the ingredients have blended well in yoghurt
- Store the marinade in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it
Prepare the Cauliflower
- Remove all the leaves from the cauliflower head
- Cut the cauliflower head into half
- There are two ways we can cut the cauliflower.
Option -1 : cut each half into slabs/slices of 1 inch thickness to give it an appearance similar to meat steaks
Option-2 : Cut each half into 4-5 pieces by separating groups of florets. Do not break the florets into very small pieces as they will get burnt during grilling.
- Apply the yogurt marinade on all the cauliflower pieces uniformly. Make sure to rub the marinade into all the gaps
- Let the cauliflower rest for about 20 minutes
Grill the Cauliflower steaks
- Spread the cauliflower pieces on a flat baking sheet
- Bake in the oven at 400F for about 10-15 minutes until you see the cauliflower change color and dark spots begin to appear
- Take the tray out of the oven. Turn over the cauliflower pieces to expose the sides that are still raw.
- Increase the heat to 450F and bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove the tray from the oven when the cauliflower surface starts to char. Some charring is good to get the perfect taste and even roasting of the cauliflower
- The cauliflower steaks are best served with a side of naan or saffron rice and Indian coriander & tamarind chutneys. (Click the links for reference)
- You can also use a simple raita to sooth the spiciness that is made with creamy yoghurt, grated cucumber, salt, cumin powder and finely chopped dill or cilantro.
- The marinade can be refrigerated for upto 1 week
- The cauliflower steaks are best eaten when still hot and fresh from the oven