Sprouted mung beans (green gram) salad is a vegan-friendly recipe. This is a healthy salad made with freshly sprouted mung beans, vegetables, and lemon juice dressing. Sprouted mung beans are mixed with diced cucumber and tomato, finely chopped cilantro, and green chilies. Add a simple dressing of lemon juice and toppings like roasted peanuts or sunflower/pumpkin seeds to complete this salad.
Mung beans are a staple source of protein across many countries in Asia. Sprouted or boiled mung beans are used in different dishes like curries, pancakes, or salads. I am sharing a very simple salad that can be prepared in less than 15 minutes.
I have explained how to sprout mung beans in the instructions section.
Please try this recipe and if you like it, please share it with your friends. I would appreciate it if you can leave your feedback with any suggestions and comments.
Sprouted mung beans (green gram) salad
A fiber and protein-rich healthy salad made with sprouted mung beans and chopped veggies like cucumber, tomato, cilantro, and green chilies. Add a simple dressing of lemon juice and toppings like roasted peanuts or sunflower/pumpkin seeds to complete this salad.
How to sprout mung beans ?
- Soak the mung beans in water for at least 12 hours. The ratio of water to mung beans should be 3:1.
- After 12 hours, drain the water from mung beans.
- Transfer the soaked mung beans onto a thin wet cloth (muslin type / thin towel)
- Tie the edges of the cloth to enclose the mung beans (looks like a round bundle)
- Keep the wrapped mung beans in a warm place away from sunlight
- After about 12 hours you should see the sprouts appear
- If you like to get longer sprouts, open the cloth and spread the mung beans before tying them back into a bundle.
- Sprinkle some water on the cloth and keep the mung beans wrapped in the cloth for another 8-12 hours.
- We can store the sprouted mung beans in the refrigerator for 3-4 days
Chopping the vegetables
- Dice the cucumber and tomatoes into small pieces
- The green chilies need to be chopped finely
- Chop fresh cilantro
Serving the salad
- Take a salad bowl
- Add sprouted mung beans, cut vegetables, cilantro, chilies
- Add lemon juice and salt
- Mix well and adjust salt as needed
- Divide the salad into desired portions and serve on the plate
- Add toppings of peanuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Prepare the salad when you are ready to eat. If you store the prepared salad, it will turn watery and it doesn't taste good.